Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Workshop Wednesday: Wonderful Websites for Reading!

I'm so excited to have a guest blogger! Things are cray-cray around here (totes magotes) and Alison, being the awesome BBB that she is, said that she would love to post as a guest today! If you don't already follow this fabulous Floridian, you should!! She is too much fun. :o) I wish I could teach at one school with ALL my BBBs!!!
Now, here's my girl's post!!

Hey y'all...it's Alison from Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'.
I'm guest blogging today for Jivey for her weekly
Workshop Wednesday.
Can you even BELIEVE it?
How LUCKY am I?
I feel like a real life ROCKSTAR!
Thanks, Jivey!


Today's Topic: Wonderful Websites or Apps

I love introducing new websites in the classroom, but 
it's always nice to do use some oldies, but goodies!
The site I have chosen today is one that I have been using
for the past five years.

Have you ever used TweenTribune?
This site offers news articles specifically for kids
written BY kids and professional journalists.


I really like that they have different sites by grade levels.
Grades K-4 (TTJunior
Grades 5-8 (TweenTribune
Grades 9-12 (TeenTribune
Spanish- (TTEspanol)

Teachers may go on and set up an account.
Students may add themselves and attach to your class.
I always create the accounts with my kids.
Once the students read an article, they may reply, but you 
have to give the comments approval.

I make a really BIG deal about this and consider it 
a reading and writing assignment.  
I will check for 
grammar and conventions.  
My students have a minimum of 25 words 
when writing a comment.
My rule.

Here are the topics that students may choose from:
Animals, Art, Book Reviews, Education
Entertainment, Fashion
Food & Health, Inspiration
National news
News you can use
Odd news, Opinion, Science 
Sports, Technology
World news

Articles are added almost daily so there is always something
fresh for the students to read.

Example:


Check out this TweenTribune review from Common Sense Media:
(Common Sense Media-We rate, educate, and advocate for
kids, families, and schools)
Parents need to know that the mission of TWEENTRIBUNE is to get 
young readers to follow the news. 
There are age-appropriate sections for kids, tweens, and teens. 
The content runs the gamut from educational to fluffy, 
with substantial coverage of celebrities and brands. 
Comments are moderated.

Now it's your turn to link-up and share your wonderful websites
or apps that you are using in your classroom!

Happy Wednesday!

10 comments:

  1. This Alison person sounds like pure awesomeness! HAHAHAH! Thank you so much for allowing me to be a BIG part of your Workshop Wednesday. You're the bestest! I hope some others find the benefits of TweenTribune also. I hope you've gotten a lot accomplished today...don't even think about replying to me. XO
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So fun to see one of my bloggy besties in a guest post! Tween Tribune is one of my favorite sites for getting students interested in current events and finding articles for them to read, discuss, debate, etc. I love it!!

      Delete
  2. I did not know about Tween Tribune so I am glad you posted this! It looks perfect for my students! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you posted about TweenTribute. I had never heard of it, but I plan to use it. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! I can't wait to look into TweenTribune. Thank you for sharing :)

    The Techie Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a fantastic resource! I'm excited to be able to be able to link up for the first time! Also, I think you'd be happy to hear I tried a mentor sentence for the first time today with my first graders and it was awesome!
    Deb
    Not very fancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of TweenTribune but it looks amazing! I love how your students must make comments with a 25 word minimum. I'm totally stealing that when using technology like this! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh - I'm already in the process of creating an account. Cannot wait to share with my students. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of this site before, but it sounds fantastic!! I'm on my way now to check it out. I think my kiddos would love it. Thanks for the idea!!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not used this site before but not only will I check it out for my class I am going to make my daughter (a teen tomorrow!!) use it when she has her current affairs assignment every other week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE for you to comment! Please leave me some love! :) I like to reply through email so you can read my response, so make sure you have turned on that option in your profile settings or leave your email addy in your comment! :)