Monday, March 3, 2014

Fun Lesson for Reading Standard 9 {freebie!!} and Workshop Wednesday Topic!

Happy Monday! I am so excited to share about a lesson idea that originated with Lessons with Laughter- she used the book, Vulture Verses, to help students create a class book of poems for the unloved.
Have you heard of this book?? I am always amazed when I come across a book I haven't seen (since I'm a total book hoarder...) so of course, I bought it. When I saw the book, I immediately thought of a fun Seymour Simon book, Animals Nobody Loves.
I blogged about the book last year after getting my feet wet in close reading techniques. It's perfect because each animal's passage is just one page... well the poems in Vulture Verses are the same!! Each page focuses on just one animal that people don't really care for too much.

These two books will address Reading Anchor Standard 9 perfectly! It says:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.9 Analyze how two or more texts address similar themes or topics in order to build knowledge or to compare the approaches the authors take.

We are doing this lesson this week in my reading small groups! I will give my students a photo copy of a page from each book on the same animal so they can write on it (remember, you can copy pages that are for classroom use!!) and they will use this activity sheet (which you can grab for free):
Here are the animals that are in both books:
vulture (duh)
spider
skunk
cockroach
bat (there are two kinds in the poems)

I may give them a copied page from Animals Nobody Loves at the end of the week to let them write a poem about an animal not already in Vulture Verses. They would love that! :o)

I'd love for you to come back and link up with Workshop Wednesday this week! We are going to share about fun reading websites and apps!! We'll call it Wonderful Websites for Workshop Wednesday! And... I will have a special guest this week for Workshop Wednesday! I promise you'll love her, because she is one of my BBBs (and I only become BBBs with awesome people)! :o) 

Have a great week!

13 comments:

  1. I am teaching poetry in writing and animals in science right now... both of these books are PERFECT! I'll be looking for them in my library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like so much fun! Your students are going to have a great time.
    Sara
    Frampton's FUNdamentals

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the book Animals Nobody Loves after reading your earlier post. This is a great activity to go with it. I'm off to order Vulture Verses and download your freebie. We will work on poetry after Spring Break. Thank you!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um...another amazing idea! Perfect small group mini-lesson. I already have Animals Nobody Loves, and I'm off to Amazon Prime Vulture Verses right now! Thanks for the freebie!

    -Nick
    Sweet Rhyme – Pure Reason
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh...I haven't heard of either of these books...just like everybody else...I'm off to go check them out on Amazon Prime. Can't wait to check out Workshop Wednesday and your guest. Sounds mysterious! xo
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these sound like fun books. I definitely want to check out Vulture Verses! We've been doing a poem each week because the kids REALLY struggle with them. Thanks for the suggestions!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to say that I'm loving your blog. I found it a couple of week while I was searching for ideas on the solar system. I'm currently finishing my education degree that I started 24 years ago. Thank you for all your awesome ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could also have them compare the animal to an emotion or idea (like freedom or dread or patience or fear) and create an animal metaphor. I do that when we study Emily Dickinson's "Hope is the Thing with Feathers." This we be a great addition to that activity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of one pagers to get going with close reading! Thanks for the great book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those books sound like fun. Gotta search it up to grab. Thanks for the freebie! Yay for being your newest Blog Lovin follower. Drop by!!

    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the template! What a great idea!

    Rachel
    Thirdgradecupcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Amazon box with both of these books arrived during spring break and I can't wait to use them this week! Thanks for helping me with my plans for the week we return! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE for you to comment! Please leave me some love! :) I like to reply through email so you can read my response, so make sure you have turned on that option in your profile settings or leave your email addy in your comment! :)