Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Workshop Wednesday: Writing Tips (Mentor Sentence Freebie!!!!)

Welcome to Workshop Wednesday! Today we are linking up tips you would give to teachers for teaching writing, or tips for teachers to tell students!
If you've been around on my blog for a while, you know what I'm about to say. :o) My tip for teachers to save valuable time is to use mentor texts, and mentor sentences from those texts! 

Mentor texts are books that you can use for several skills- I often will use a mentor text over the course of a week, sometimes longer. I really try to pick a book that I can use for my reading AND my writing skills for the week, that way I can read it once, then go back and just read parts that I want to use in my mini-lessons.

I also pull a sentence from the book I'm using in reading and/or writing to use as our mentor sentence for the week. If you are unfamiliar with mentor sentences, you can read ALLLLLLL about it here! Here is the "short explanation" of mentor sentences: pull an EXTRAORDINARY sentence (or just a really great sentence that shows off the skill you want the students to learn that week!) from a book that the students have heard (or will hear soon) and use it to teach grammar and writing skills! By looking at sentences that are correct, the students can see what makes GOOD writing, instead of trying to figure out what's wrong with an incorrect sentence. Then, they have the chance to imitate that sentence, which gives them the opportunity to practice "good writing" and transfer it to their own writing! My students' writing this year has sky-rocketed thanks to the implementation of mentor sentences in my room, just as it has done the last few years with my past classes! And the great part is, it takes only 10-15 minutes a day! I honestly believe that it is the best way for students to truly understand what good writing looks like, which is what prompted me to create my Mentor Sentence Units on TPT. There are units in my store, as well as some seasonal freebies!

And since I LOVE my blog followers so much (and also because products with "the DOCTOR" are not supposed to be posted on TPT), I have an exclusive Mentor Sentence Freebie for YOU!!! I thought it would be perfect for Read Across America Day/Week!
Click the image or click here to download your Mentor Sentence Freebie! :o)

I can't wait to see what writing tips you have for teachers and students!


11 comments:

  1. Your mentor sentences are SO fantastic (I actually have the third one in my shopping cart right now waiting for the big sale)! Thank you for the freebie. I might have to use it next week!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are mentor sentences? JUST KIDDING! Can you believe I actually got my act together to link up for once? I know you're super duper proud. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the "Doctor" freebie. I will be putting this to great use! XO
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your mentor sentences. Thank you for the freebie!! Can't wait to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo excited about this freebie! I love your mentor sentences and now I have another one for my collection!!! Yay! Thanks for sharing!
    xoxo
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the Lorax freebie--looking forward to using it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mentor sentences and so do my students. Thank you so much for this freebie - I am going to save it for Earth Day/Week (shockingly we do not to Read Across America in my class : ) ). We will be back to link up shortly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great freebie! I'm so excited to use it next week with Read Across America Week. We really could use some work with sentences and I'm excited to use it! Thanks for the great ideas. I know that I have to start using more mentor texts!!!
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so sweet to share a freebie! My kids will LOVE this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love mentor sentences and it is thanks to you that I know about them and use them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What?!? I LOVE your new blog design!! Oh my! It's perfect! What a surprise stopping by! :) You know how much I love mentor sentences and thank you for the freebie!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing the freebie! I love your blog design!
    Michele

    Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE for you to comment! Please leave me some love! :) I like to reply through email so you can read my response, so make sure you have turned on that option in your profile settings or leave your email addy in your comment! :)