Thursday, April 25, 2013

Peace, Hope, Love, and Kindness

In light of recent events, Joanne at Head Over Heels for Teaching, Amanda and Stacia at Collaboration Cuties, and I are hosting this uplifting linky!
We hope you will link up to the Peace, Hope, Love, and Kindness linky party whenever you have heartwarming stories, lessons you've done with your class about peace, hope, love, or kindness, or even random acts of kindness. When the world seems to be falling apart around us, we will have a webpage to visit to get a pick-me-up! We hope this linky will not only lift our spirits and remind us that there is so much good around us, but also will be an encouragement to us to be the good we want to see in the world. As teachers, we have such a powerful role in shaping the future...let's share our ideas so we can make the world a better place TOGETHER!

This linky will remain open, so if you don't have the chance to link up today, please come back whenever you can! You will find the button at the top of my page in the right side bar- it will stay there! Whenever you want to share a story or you need a lift, just click there! :o)

I wanted to start by sharing this video about Post Secret. Have you heard of this before?? I just recently heard about it this past week, and I'm hooked. There are some silly stories, some sad stories, some funny stories, and some seriously heartwarming stories. I was crying at the end. I hope you will watch all 11 minutes of this video, and if you can't right now, come back- it's totally worth it.



I also wanted to share an activity I did with my students after the Sandy Hook Elementary Tragedy in December. We read this book:
If Peace Is... by Jane Baskwill, illustrated by Stephanie Carter

It's a rhyming book that repeats the phrase from the title... “If peace is a garden, I’ll tend every seed. If peace is a book, I’ll have to read.” It's a great book for demonstrating metaphors (which are sometimes hard to find consistently in books). It's also full of gorgeous, colorful illustrations!

After reading the book, they brainstormed what peace was to them. We talked about places to go, things to do, and people we want to be with to have peace. Then they created their own quilt square for our "peace quilt" which we hung in the hall for everyone to see. They wrote their metaphor: "If peace is/was a... I would..." and illustrated it to be bright and colorful just like the book.

Some of my favorites were:
If peace was a holiday, I'd celebrate it.
If peace is life, I won't waste a day.
If peace was a baby, it would be snoring all day.
If peace was soccer, I would score every goal.
If peace was a swan, it would fly gracefully.
If peace was a pool, I'd have to swim in it.
If peace was a meadow, I'd run through it.

Last, I wanted to share something from the book, Wonder. I've been reading it to my class. 
The book is absolutely perfect for what this linky is all about, in fact. Even if you don't read it to your class, I recommend you read it on your own. Make it a summer book if you want. I am totally hooked, and so are my kids. They get mad when I stop! :-P I have laughed out loud several times, and I'm sure I'll be crying, too!

In the book, the main character's English teacher, Mr. Browne, gives all the students an assignment each month based on a precept, or a motto. The first one he gives them is:

WHEN GIVEN THE CHOICE BETWEEN BEING RIGHT OR BEING KIND, CHOOSE KIND.

That just really hit my heart as I read that aloud to my students. How many times do we as ADULTS choose right instead of kind? I urge you to keep Mr. Browne's precept in the back of your mind! I think my students may be doing an assignment similar to the students in the book actually, to help them remember as well... this is the age where they start turning on one another. I want to help mold them to be better than that...

Now it's your turn!! :)

12 comments:

  1. Can't wait to get my hands on that book!!! I love the simplicity of "Being right or being kind". And your peace quilt looks great-I love the student samples-so thoughtful! This is going to be such a great place for everyone to share! Thanks for including me in your GREAT idea!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these ideas! I completely forgot how much I wanted to read that book. Ordering it now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Post Secret! I am going to have to order Wonder, it sounds wonderful!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your peace quilt and my kiddos are loving Wonder. It opens such wonderful conversations! :)
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for doing this! I think this is an awesome idea and I am so happy I was able to link up with you guys. I feel this is going to be a great place for when we need a pick me up! I love your peace quilt too!

    Rosie
    Rosie's Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing about this book--if only I had time to READ! Perhaps I'll order it anyway! That quilt is super cute. I always have cute ideas that I can turn our writing activities into, but they remain just that--ideas.. because we have to move on to something else. I think my quote would be: "If peace was chocolate, I'd gain 311 pounds." :)

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love PostSecret! I check it every Sunday! That book sounds fantastic. I really like your Peace Quilt. It seems like your students did a nice job and really took it to heart. Thanks for sharing!

    Amy
    Eclectic Educating

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this book in my cart at Amazon, along with several others! :O)

    Your peace quilt is so cute!! :O)
    This is a fun linky!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those Post Secret books. I used to work and Barnes and Noble and would spend my time reading those books when I was board. My husband is watching something and I don't want to annoy him, so I'll have to come back later and check out the video. I also love your "Peace Is..." book and activity. My students this year are so irritable with each other, one class anyway, that they could really use more activities like this.

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for a linky. People need good news with all the negatively that has been pervading the news lately. Thanks for sharing!

    Mandy
    Caffeine and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for setting up this linky. We need some feel good ideas and stories with all the news we have been hearing lately. I plan on checking out the book, "Wonder." Would it be appropriate for third grade? Thanks again. I needed this!

    Jeanette
    Third Grade Galore

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right about the choice of choosing to be right or be kind. That really hits home. Thank you so much for hosting this linky. I can just come back here and visit when I need some positive vibes:) It just warms my heart to read these stories and I hope to get my act together to link up soon:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE for you to comment! Please leave me some love! :) I like to reply through email so you can read my response, so make sure you have turned on that option in your profile settings or leave your email addy in your comment! :)