Saturday, March 2, 2013

SECURE your PDFs!!!

I know, two posts in one day... bloggy faux pas. I said I'd post it tomorrow, but since I've created the tutorial and thought maybe more people would have time to read it today, I'm doing it. :)

Raise your hand if you thought by saving your documents to sell on TPT or TN as a PDF, it was safe and secure? <raises hand> We are wrong! :( Little did I know, you can copy images from a PDF, or even turn them into word docs unless you have actually changed security settings in the PDF. I feel awful after having seen this wording in all the clip art Terms of Use I've ever read:

Scrappin Doodles Terms of Use
 ...and thinking this whole time I have been following the rules. I AM a rule-follower (most of the time anyway) and I certainly would not have broken this rule had I known... and I have a feeling most of you feel the same!

SOOOO, here is a tutorial on how to make your current PDFs secure... it's super easy and fast! Re-doing and re-uploading all my TPT files, however, will not be. Urgh...

Step 1: Open your PDF in Adobe Acrobat. You must have Acrobat to secure a document-Adobe Reader does not have the capability (as far as I know).

Step 2:
Click the padlock button at the top in the toolbar, or you can go to "Advanced" and select "Security" then "Encrypt with Password." (If you do the "or," skip to step 4.)

Step 3:
Choose "Encrypt with Password."

Step 4:
Click "yes," you are sure you want to change the security. I went ahead and checked "Do not show this message again" too.

Step 5:
I left compatibility on 7.0 or higher since TPT requires you to have an updated version of Adobe anyway. I also kept the radio button selected for "Encrypt all document contents." That way it covers everything. DO NOT CHECK "Require a password to open the document" or people won't be able to open it! (Unless you share your password...) The only place you want to make changes is in the red box: check "Restrict editing and printing of the document." Type in your password (make sure it's one you'll remember in case you need to edit the document yourself!). Change "Printing Allowed" to "High Resolution," so people can print your document in high quality. Make sure "NONE" is selected for changes allowed. That way they cannot edit your document in any way, keeping your material original. Make sure the box for "Enable copying of text, images, and other content" is UNCHECKED- that's really the biggie. That's what those Terms of Use are all about. And then I would keep it checked for "Enable text access for screen reader devices for the visually impaired." No discrimination here. :)

Step 6:
Re-enter your permissions password...

Step 7:

And that's it!!

You are now secured! I hope this tutorial helps you. I promise it's super-easy to do, and now, you won't be breaking any Terms of Use! And your work will be kept unaltered and "sacred," too!

As for saving after you create a new item- if you create it in Word, when you Save As PDF, follow these steps when it opens as a PDF.

If you create it in PowerPoint, click on print then at the bottom, click on PDF, and select "Save as PDF." There is a box that brings up what the document can be renamed as, but underneath that is a box for "Security Options". Click that. Then just check "Require password to copy text, images, and other content" and fill in your password.  *Thank you to Christy from Teaching In Oz for this tip!!*

I think Christy may have a different version of PPT, so hers is a little different... On my version, I go to Print, and choose my printer as Adobe PDF. Then select Printer Properties... where it says Adobe PDF Security, select Reconfirm Security for each job, then click edit. That screen should look just like the one from the tutorial in this post.

Here are some tips from Aimee at Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks for Mac Users! I found out that you do not have to purchase Adobe Acrobat to secure your PDFs. Simply open your PDF through preview (right click on your PDF for the menu and the pick Open with, the click preview). Next go to the menu and select print. If you are in preview you will see a drop menu for PDF on the bottom left. Click that and go to Save as PDF. The next screen to pop up has a Security Options button. When you click on that, you will get three choices. Check "Require password to copy text, images and other content." DO NOT check the other options or your buyers will not be able to open or print your product. If my explanation does not make sense, check out this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GxmzmugVU0

For those of you without Acrobat, Nicki at Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten suggested getting PDFill for free to do encryptions.

I hope this helps! Anyone else that figures out tips along the way, I'll be glad to add them to this post, just I have been doing! :)

40 comments:

  1. When I am in PowerPoint, I click on print then at the bottom I click on PDF. From there I select "Save as PDF". There is a dialog box that brings up what the document can be renamed as, but underneath that is a box for "Security Options". Click that. Then just check "Require password to copy text, images, and other content" fill in your password and your good!

    Christy
    Teaching In Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started using PPT, so that's awesome to know that!

      Diane
      Fifth in the Middle

      Delete
    2. I've added Christy's tip to the blog post! Thank you!!! :)

      Delete
    3. Your more than welcome! I wasn't secure on my first PDF, but a friend of mine pointed me in the right direction, so I was able to fix things quick. Glad I could help!

      Delete
    4. I’ve been using PPT for a while, and I haven’t noticed that option. Normally I just convert them to PDF directly, and I have always wondered why I couldn’t copy some of the texts on some PDFs, while others allow such function. That’s a nice thing to know, especially when I’m converting them to pdfs for file archiving. Thanks!

      Nannie Salyards

      Delete
  2. I thought that you weren't going to do this until tomorrow ;) Thanks, though! It gives us all weekend to fix it :)

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know!! But I figured maybe more people might see it now... :)

      Delete
  3. Ooo guuurrrl! I am so happy to see this. I need to get to fixin. Pinned it for future reference. I WILL NOT remember this until I get the hang of it. You are the bestest.

    Brandi
    My Teacher Friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this tutorial! Looks like I will be a little busier than I thought this weekend!

    Amy
    Eclectic Educating

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness!! I had no idea. I cannot figure out how to do this on a Mac. Do you have any idea? I have Adobe Reader so I am going to see if I can get Acrobat on the Mac. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this tutorial. Check out my flash freebie today if you get a chance:)
    ~Holly
    http://fourthgradeflipper.blogspot.com/2013/03/natural-disasters-projects-flash.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I don't know about Macs! But someone mentioned Ms. Stanford's Class having a Mac tutorial- go check her blog and see!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much! I've just saved mine as PDF files and hoped that that secured it, because I had NO idea how to do it! Thank you SO much for this! Very easy to follow, not confusing directions at all!
    Also, thank you Christy for the easy tip when using PPT. That's wonderful!
    I'm one of your newest followers! I'd love for you to stop by my blog sometime, I'm just getting it started!

    Thanks!
    Melissa
    Jungle Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm actually already a follower of yours! ;-)

      Delete
  7. Such an important tutorial to share! Thanks for breaking it down into such user-friendly steps.

    I just found your blog through the state link-up. I teach 4th grade in Georgia, also, so I'm very happy to find your blog!

    Have a great weekend!
    Alison
    Eberopolis: Teaching Reading & Writing with Technology

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Love finding other fourthies, and Georgia too?? Yay! :)

      Delete
  8. I am literally sick to my stomach. I don't sell anything, but I have shared some great stuff with many people and now I am sad. I did have someone at school steal my "blogging" identity, so now I am sure my name was taken off of my stuff and the other name was typed in. Oh well, live and learn. Thank you so much for posting this, I will never share again without securing my document!!!

    faithfulinfirstblogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about that!! I'm glad I can help though!

      Delete
  9. First off, I had no clue!
    Secondly, I just downloaded PPT 2013 and it is not letting me save the way you explained. Any further advice??


    Deniece
    This Little Piggy Reads Alll the Way Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't really use PPT, but I did go in to see what mine looked like- I think Christy may have a Mac, maybe, so hers is a little different... Go to Print, and choose your printer as Adobe PDF. Then select Printer Properties... where it says Adobe PDF Security, select Reconfirm Security for each job, then click edit. That screen should look just like the one from the tutorial in this post. Hope that helps!!

      Delete
    2. What do you make your products in???

      Delete
    3. I have been using Word forever and ever because it's all I've ever known. I've learned all the tricks and ins and outs BUT some people have now convinced me to try PPT so I'm giving it a whirl on my latest unit. :)

      Delete
    4. Jessica is right, I do have a Mac, but I don't have Microsoft Office 13 on it. Did Jessica's tips help you out? If not and your on a Mac I will try to investigate it more for you!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for this post-very informative! I thought a PDF was secure! Geesh, I guess we will all be busy this weekend!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I can help keep ya busy! :-P haha!

      Delete
  11. I'm your newest follower! I had NO idea! I only have Adobe Reader, so I guess I'll need to purchase acrobat. Will the teacher/student version be able to do the steps you described or do you need the regular version (huge price difference!). Thanks for this great tip!
    Teacher Gone Digital

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine the teacher version would still have the security option because it's a feature of Acrobat. I'd def go for the teacher version!!

      Delete
  12. I downloaded the PDFill PDF Tools for free and I encrypt my documents that way....I was struggling when I first began this adventure last year on how to keep my stuff secure and ran across this.

    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I added it to the post!

      Delete
  13. One thing that I noticed yesterday as I was fixing my files is that the PPT fix works for Word, too. So if you still have your original files in PPT or Word, open them up, go to File-Print, then save as a PDF at the bottom of the window. In the new window that pops up, click on Security Options, click on the box that says Require Password to copy text, images.... enter your password, click OK, and Save. You can even overwrite your previous PDF with the same name and then upload it to TpT. This is the work-around if you don't have Adode Acrobat.

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're SO awesome!! =) What a great tutorial!! I'm going to start working on my "stuff" right now! I'm also pinning this for future reference!! I wonder how to get rid of the "no reply" status that I have? =)
    -Jackie-
    Sister Teachers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated my Meatballs post JUST for you! LOL - go to your blogger profile and make sure that the box for show your email address is checked!! :)

      Delete
  15. Ahh, I had NO idea and also feel badly that I unknowinly wasn't following this rule. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Thanks so much for sharing! So glad to know there are multiple ways to do it. I had no idea...

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANK YOU!! This was incredibly helpful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you know you can also do something about people lifting pics from your PDF? While they may still be able to screenshot it and such, it will probably have a lower quality than the original one. And that would prevent them from wiping out watermarks if you went ahead and placed one on those pictures.

    Ruby Badcoe

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE for you to comment! Please leave me some love! :) I like to reply through email so you can read my response, so make sure you have turned on that option in your profile settings or leave your email addy in your comment! :)